Monday, January 13, 2014

13 January 2014: Solid week being a missionary

Hey I just love being a missionary. It is so much fun and so rewarding. This is great.

Chandler is going to Lisbon, Portugal! What up! I am so pumped for you man. You're going to be such a good missionary.

Well last week was transfer week, so I don't remember anything that happened. Always such a crazy week. We also have new planners so I can't look back at the week because I left it back at the flat.

So last night I was talking to this young man in the ward named garrath. He pulled out his phone and showed me what was playing on his ipod. Brand New! I was so proud of him. If I could do anything for the young men I work with, it would be to get them on a mission. If I could do two, it would be to get them to listen to brand new. The young mens leader also likes them but hasn't listened to them much since he got married. Reason #1 to put off marriage as long as I can.

Natasha and Kevin are doing great. Natasha was really sick all week and Kevin was away for the weekend so we only saw Natasha once. But they seem to be really happy. Her kids are just the cutest. Tom is 5 and Lily-Grace is 3.

So miracle of the week. We went on splits with Brother Spedding and Brother Arkley and I went with Brother Arkley home teaching. It was short notice so we were just trying by people. We went by one person on his list and they brushed us off so we were in his car trying to decide what to do. We called everyone on his list and they couldn't meet. We then looked through people I had been working with to go by, but they couldn't meet either. Then we started just thinking of any members we could visit. We called a few and they couldn't meet. Then probably after making 30 phone calls we called Linda, a member. She is just a very solid member. She works in primary and she comes every sunday but she said she would love for us to come by, and she didn't live too far either. We went to her house and she invited us in and it wasn't long before she just started crying explaining that she had just been praying for a blessing. She had been struggling with a few things lately and she really just needed some comfort. Brother Arkley and I were able to give her a blessing and she felt a lot better.
Me and Brother Arkley were talking on the way back to the flat. We talked about how we had to make 30 phone calls before we actually decided to call her. She was on my mind the whole night and the few days before that as well. I think it is so interesting how the Lord doesn't just want you to do whats right. He wants you to go above and beyond. Go the extra mile. Show you deserve that direction and revelation. I wish I could even just grasp the concept of faith. One day...

"Wishing will not make is so. The Lord expects our thinking. He expects our action. He expects our labors. He expects our testimonies. He expects our devotion."
-Thomas S. Monson

I know that this church is true. I had the opportunity to speak again in Sacrament on sunday (yep, twice in one month) and I was asked to speak on the first vision and the impact it has on us today. I found out about 30 minutes before church. Anyway I was giving my talk and I was kind of giving it lacklusterly (is that a word...?) and then I realized Christine Steele, a member had brought her friend Jeane to church. I realized that she had never heard this before. This is such an incredible event! I realized that this talk would determine weather she wanted to hear more or not. So I gave it my all and tried my best to bear such a strong testimony. She is meeting with the other missionaries on tuesday. Such an incredible miracle. The Lord really fulfilled his promise.

 For it shall be agiven you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say.

The Lord really does hear and answer prayers. He knows what we need and he wants to bless us. If only we humble ourselves before him. 

 19 And this he did that he himself might go forth among his people, or among the people of Nephi, that he might preach the word of God unto them, to stir them up in remembrance of their duty, and that he might pull down, by the word of God, all the pride and craftiness and all the contentions which were among his people, seeing no way that he might reclaim them save it were in bearing down in pure testimony against them.

The testimony we have is powerful and it should be used as a gift. Why would the Lord give us the gift of a testimony, if we wouldn't use it to help people and help them to come unto Christ? 

Sorry for the novel. I love you guys! 


Elder Gurney

No comments:

Post a Comment