Thursday, August 29, 2013

Week 3

So apparently Nick sent a letter on July 29th that I never received.  I finally got ahold of it and will post it now.


Wow where do I start?? This has been the hardest week of my life! But it has been so amazing! My companion is fantastic. His name is Elder Krylborn and he is from Stolkholm Sweden but he sound more American than me!
He is super nice and loves all the same music as me so we get along great. I'm his second 'son' or trainee. Also he loves hockey! But he is a LA Kings fan and loves Jonathan Quick (stupid.) But we somehow work past that! Also he is a celiac so yeah that sucks.

So my area! I'm in the North Shields ward which is part of Newcastle so I am way up north! Jordy land! They don't speak english I don't care what anyone else tells me. But Elder Krylborn is teaching me! We are whitewashing so we are both new in the area and the last missionaries litterally left us no teaching pool so we have been knocking and working with the ward and calling a lot of former investigators to get appointments. I litterally have not been in one lesson. Other that asking people on the street to be baptised. But I'm loving it. The ward is pretty small about 65-70 active members but we are working our hardest to build that! The ward mission leader is amazing he works as hard as us!

So Sister Thompson deserves a paragaraph to herself, she deserves a whole letter! This sister is AMAZING. She is paralized from the waist down because of a motorcycle accident and she is a widow. But she is the happiest most amazing member of the ward. She is the one that makes sure we have tea (dinner) appointments EVERY night! She works so hard to bring the ward together and does such a great job!  Love that woman. Also our flat is a joke so our post gets broken into so if you want to send me any packages or letters send it to Sister Thompson:

Elder Nicholas Gurney
3 Cleehill Drive
Preston Grange
North Shields, Tyre & Wear
NE29 9EW
England


So everything in England is tiny. Everything. Cars, houses, garages (never have I seen someone park their car in a garage). Nothing is really much more expensive either. Some things are a lot cheaper. Like suits. I am never buying an american suit again in my life. The suits here and so nice and so cheap. Oh and yes this last couple weeks especially while I was in the MTC was hot!!! But yesterday in dumped rain all night and in the morning and we had to walk for 30 minutes to church! Me and my compainon are both broke till like the first then we will buy a bus pass for the month which we will be reimbursed for!

The flat is getto. But roomy. I hated it at first but I have come to love my extremely humble abode. The shower is the only thing I don't like.

SCOTT! Elder Paris Thomas was a zone leader in my mission when my companion came out! (about a year ago) so thats pretty cool i guess!

Story of the week: so yesterday we were walking home from our bishops house after tea which was a bummer cuz it was like a 50 minute walk and i was on the phone setting up and appointment with a former investigator when something hit my leg. I looked down and there was egg all over my suit! I got egged on day 3! I guess I am doing something right! I kept my cool and set up the appt and then hung up and laughed. Then right after we went knocking and this guy yelled at us and tried to tell us there was no God and that we are stupid (he was trying to say since Jesus is a Jew we should all be Jewish if we believe in Christ....? Ignorance at its finest) but we decided to leave instead of start bashing. So it should have been a terrible day right? Wrong. I could not stop smiling. The first few days in the field I was super trunky and missing everyone and scared and confused but then I realized after these things that it wasn't about me. I mean I've always known that but now I understand that it really is not about me at all. It doesn't matter that i got egged or cussed out on a doorstep and told that my religion is a joke. Because it's God's work I'm doing. So I just walked the rest of the way home with the cheesiest grin on my face.
Also the jordys are fantastic they are super nice and straightforward. But sometimes they are just straightforward by throwing eggs out of their car.

I love you guys and pray for you ever day! If you're reading this write me! I want to know how you are doing!

Love,
Elder Gurney




No comments:

Post a Comment