Monday, August 18, 2014

August 18, 2014: The Calm Before the Storm

Hey Everyone!

Ah what a week! I haven't been this busy my entire mission. I love Huddersfield. Traveling is terrible compared to my last areas though. We live a 15 minute bus ride from town and we have to travel to town and then usually about another 15 minutes on a bus to pretty much anywhere we need to go. We spend a lot of time waiting for busses.

The Moses family is doing fantastic. Hugh (the dad) can't come to church for the next few Sundays because of work, but the ENTIRE family came to sacrament meeting yesterday without him. Including the two teenage sons. Ah it was incredible. Few moments on a mission are as good as sitting in church with a family of non members.

I really love my mission. I love the whole idea of progress. So much of a mission is focused around progressing our investigators, and ourselves to be better missionaries. I have noticed recently that the scriptures and the teachings of the prophets are all about progressing as well. It is an eternal principle that we are to envelop ourselves in, in mortality.

I have been studying for a talk I have to give next week on "why share the gospel". I was reading in 1 Nephi chapter 2:
16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.
17 And I spake unto Sam, making known unto him the things which the Lord had manifested unto me by his Holy Spirit. And it came to pass that he believed in my words.

18 But, behold, Laman and Lemuel would not hearken unto my words; and being grieved because of the hardness of their hearts I cried unto the Lord for them.

I love how Nephi after he came to know of the truthfulness of the gospel, immediately wanted to share it with his brothers. Even those who wouldn't listen, he prayed for. What a lesson to learn. I also love the fact that he mentions he is young. Now this I feel can refer to him as young in age, in testimony, in membership. I have found some of those who are best at sharing the gospel are recent converts or those who recently find a testimony in a specific area (ie word of wisdom, tithing, etc.)

Anyway I have written a novel, but I love the scriptures so much. I cherish the hour I get each morning to study them, and I am scared of the day I might be too busy to do that everyday.

I love you guys!

Elder Gurney

No comments:

Post a Comment